Sunday, November 17, 2013

Thank You, Dr. Larsson


I was thirteen-years-old when I walked into Dr. Larsson’s two-room veterinary clinic for the first time.  My mom and I had just moved across the country from Georgia to San Diego, and I was on the hunt for a veterinary clinic that would allow me to volunteer.  Dr. Larsson was one of the few from the yellow pages that even considered this possibility.  I was so painfully shy that I hardly spoke during my “interview,” but my mom filled in for me.  He graciously said I could volunteer.

For nearly five years, I volunteered and then worked for this wonderful man, who became a mentor for me.  He fostered my love of animals and medicine and encouraged me to follow my dream and apply to veterinary school.  I went to UCDavis for undergrad, in large part because of their famous vet school that Dr. Larsson raved to me about.  But two years into undergrad, God told me to be a human doctor instead and to enter long-term medical mission work.

I remember coming home during a school break and walking into Dr. Larsson’s office, sitting on the large wooden bench covered with papers, anxious to see if he would be upset that I was changing my path after the years of effort he had put into me.  Although he cried, the tears were not of sadness or anger but, rather, tears of joy that I was following God’s will for my life.  I was so relieved and touched.

We kept in touch for many years.  In many ways he acted as a father to me, attending my graduations and wedding that my own father was not at and supporting me in my dreams and goals.  During residency, though, he retired and moved and I lost touch with him.  I recently tried to find him by looking for his son, but failed because I misspelled his son’s name and had the wrong town.  I feared that I would never be able to speak to Dr. Larsson again.

But last Friday was Dr. Larsson’s birthday.  Jack woke early that morning, so we finished our quiet time earlier than usual.  I searched online again for Dr. Larsson’s son, Daren, and this time I found his office!  I called and spoke with a nice secretary, who told me that Dr. Larsson was not doing well and was in and out of consciousness on hospice.  I left my contact information for Daren to call me back.

When I told my mom a few minutes later, she found Daren in the white pages.  I called the number and spoke with Daren’s son, who passed on a cell phone number to me, apparently Dr. Larsson’s phone that Daren was temporarily using.  I was a little surprised to be getting all this information since they don’t know me, and I was worried that Daren might think I was intruding into their lives by looking up all his contact information.

Daren picked up right away, recognized my name, and was very kind to me.  He gave me the full update on his dad’s failing health for the last three months.  After quite a bit of physical suffering, Dr. Larsson had recently told his son that he felt ready to leave this life and join God.  That is a huge statement for this man who never stopped or complained!  He did things like break his neck and back multiple times, fly planes upside down and not be able to differentiate sky from ocean until the last second, crash a plane into a mountain, go helicopter skiing well into his 60s, work extra shifts to do more surgery just because he loved it, go dancing on the nights that he wasn’t working extra shifts.  

Daren said that he was actually there in the nursing home with his dad .  He put me on speakerphone, and I had a one way conversation with Dr. Larsson, who essentially was unconscious.  I told him all the things happening in my life, wished him a happy birthday, told him thank you for his wonderful influence in my life, and told him I loved him.

Yesterday Daren called me to say that Dr. Larsson died 45 minutes after I got to speak with him.

I wish so badly that I had worked harder to find Daren two months ago when I initially tried so that I could have had a full conversation with Dr. Larsson.  But I am also very thankful to God that He gave me the opportunity to speak with Dr. Larsson just before he left to be with Him.  Just as when my dad died, I am reminded of how precious our time is here with our loved ones and that we need to take advantage of that time. 


Dr. Larsson,

Thank you for giving me a chance when I was so shy.

Thank you for helping me build confidence.

Thank you for teaching me about medicine.
Thank you for picking me up from school every Friday afternoon so I could volunteer in your office.

Thank you for letting me help with surgery even though the first 100 times I had to leave to avoid fainting or vomiting.

Thank you for amputating the broken leg of the stray rabbit we found.  Sonsy turned into one of our best pets.

Thank you for always speaking positively about your family.

Thank you for always finding good traits in others.

Thank you for being understanding and supportive when I decided not to become a veterinarian.

Thank you for coming to my multiple graduations.

Thank you for teaching me about hard work.
Thank you for demonstrating generosity. 
Thank you for showing me that you don't have to retire when you turn 65.

Thank you for showing me what it looks like to live life fully.

Thank you for talking to me about God.

Thank you for supporting me.

Thank you for loving me.



Nepal is having big elections this Tuesday, November 19.
Please pray that the elections are successful
and that the country remains peaceful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment