Sunday, December 6, 2015

Dr O'Keefe on NPR


Tansen mission hospital and Dr Leona O'Keefe in the news!
The blockade has hit rural health care hard. For the past two-and-a-half years, Leona O'Keefe, an American volunteer family physician with the Samaritan's Purse Post-Residency Program, has worked at the United Mission Hospital in the town of Tansen, more than a nine-hour jeep ride west of Kathmandu. It is one of Nepal's best-known rural hospitals with 23 doctors and 96 nurses and nurses aides. In 2014, the hospital had 12,500 admissions and 97,000 clinic visits, with over 7,100 surgeries and 2,100 deliveries. Some of the American medical staff work here for several years while others return regularly for shorter stints.
See the full article about the devastating impact of the Indian blockade on npr.org by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I haven't met you guys, but I am in NICU fellowship, praying (and pursuing) coming to Nepal when I finish in 2017. You are in my prayers. Thank you for this update--we hear so little about this in the US unless you search for it.

    ReplyDelete