I saw a cinnamon roll recently and found out that all the didis--except for ours--know how to cook them. I've never made them myself but decided to go for it on Christmas Day. What better day than Christmas to enjoy a hot, gooey cinnamon roll?! They took a few hours and running around between skype calls, but we definitely enjoyed them. Now I have to find time to teach Jibu how to make them! Although there's something extra special about eating something that you've baked yourself.
I suppose I should teach myself how to light our oven. But with Tim and Jibu willing to burn their own finger hairs in the process, I think I'm pretty content to let them keep helping me with that task.
A few days before Christmas, we caroled in the hospital. Less than 10% of our hospital staff is Christian, but there was a wonderful turnout with palpable joy and fun.
There were enough carolers to fill the entire maternity ward.
Here are some cuties dancing in the hallway of the pediatric ward.
On Christmas Day, we skyped with some of Tim's family while opening presents from them and then skyped with Leona's mom while opening presents from her. The world is a different place with skype!! Here's our Christmas tree: some nice branches with paper ornaments, each representing scripture of Jesus' lineage.
After enjoying some gooey cinnamon rolls, we headed off to church. The service was about three hours long, followed by several hours of eating.
Jack actually fell asleep on the walk there and stayed asleep for the first 45 minutes despite the incredible noise/music.
Once Jack was awake, more and more Nepali children surrounded us to play with him, which often involves hard pinching of the cheeks. We left two hours into the service to avoid a break down.
I made some fudge, we spent time with our chowkidar (grounds/gate keeper) and his wife, and then we headed to a friend's place for a delicious Christmas dinner!
We weren't with family, but we enjoyed the day. Merry Christmas! (Or Happy Christmas, as many of the other expats here say.) :)
I suppose I should teach myself how to light our oven. But with Tim and Jibu willing to burn their own finger hairs in the process, I think I'm pretty content to let them keep helping me with that task.
A few days before Christmas, we caroled in the hospital. Less than 10% of our hospital staff is Christian, but there was a wonderful turnout with palpable joy and fun.
There were enough carolers to fill the entire maternity ward.
Here are some cuties dancing in the hallway of the pediatric ward.
On Christmas Day, we skyped with some of Tim's family while opening presents from them and then skyped with Leona's mom while opening presents from her. The world is a different place with skype!! Here's our Christmas tree: some nice branches with paper ornaments, each representing scripture of Jesus' lineage.
After enjoying some gooey cinnamon rolls, we headed off to church. The service was about three hours long, followed by several hours of eating.
Jack actually fell asleep on the walk there and stayed asleep for the first 45 minutes despite the incredible noise/music.
Once Jack was awake, more and more Nepali children surrounded us to play with him, which often involves hard pinching of the cheeks. We left two hours into the service to avoid a break down.
I made some fudge, we spent time with our chowkidar (grounds/gate keeper) and his wife, and then we headed to a friend's place for a delicious Christmas dinner!
We weren't with family, but we enjoyed the day. Merry Christmas! (Or Happy Christmas, as many of the other expats here say.) :)
No comments:
Post a Comment