The big eyes across the room helped me to smile and relax. I think many of them were surprised that I was going to attempt this in Nepali. They were automatically impressed with the effort, whether my message would be lousy or not.
To have gotten up in front of 30+ college aged kids and given a full 30-minute talk exclusively in Nepali with nothing more than a simple outline would have been impressive indeed. Instead I sat with Khila, my language teacher, over the course of 2 weeks and translated the message I came up with line by line. I tried to do my best not to merely read the translation in front of the group but it was difficult since there were many new words that were necessary that were not easy to pronounce.
To try to make it as natural as possible, I read through it many times and even repeatedly listened to an audio recording of Khila reading it. To try to keep it lively I had some of the kids read the Bible passages out-load for me. After all, their Nepali would be easily understood even though the Nepali Bible is notoriously difficult to read, even for the average Nepali.
The big eyes turned to smiles on some faces and intent concentration on others. Was I blowing this and only creating a spectacle? Or were my words understood and captivating the young minds before me?
I chose to preach on what it means to love Jesus. My primary verse, familiar to many but perhaps not in this translation:
“यदि तिमीहरूले मलाई प्रेम गर्यौ भने, तब तिमीहरूले मेरो आज्ञा पालन गर्नेछौ। यदि कसैले मेरो आज्ञाहरू ग्रहण गर्छ र यसलाई पालन गर्दछ, त्यस मानिसले मलाई प्रेम गर्दछ। अनि मेरा पिताले तिनलाई प्रेम गर्दछन्। जसले मलाई प्रेम गर्दछ। अनि म त्यस मानिसलाई प्रेम गर्छु। म उमाथि प्रकट हुनेछु।” (John 14:15, 21)
This topic has been particularly close to my heart since I have become convinced a proper understanding is vital to produce disciples of Jesus that reproduce. That is, cross-bearing followers that teach others to do the same. I feel this understanding is also of utmost importance to new or young believers because it sets the bar for what is expected of them.
I sat down sweaty after stumbling a bit toward the end of the reading. My brain and voice got tired from the long recitation and intermittent attempts at eye contact. After my friend then called me back up for an introduction oddly saved for the end of my talk, I told him privately that maybe it would have been better if he had just translated my English. He said either way it was good to have a guest speaker (which I found hardly reassuring that my first sermon was a great success.)
Then I edged my way outside the church and received praise from many of them that my Nepali was "ekdaam ramro" or very good. I proceeded to track down Jasmika, a girl that baby sits for Jack, and she too said how impressed she was. I then struggled, and ultimately failed, to ask her a simple question in the language I had seemingly just mastered: whether or not she could come on Monday instead of Tuesday to watch Jack the following week.
And so it goes with this illusive language that so frustrates me! Every great effort reveals real progress but it is often followed by real defeat.
To have gotten up in front of 30+ college aged kids and given a full 30-minute talk exclusively in Nepali with nothing more than a simple outline would have been impressive indeed. Instead I sat with Khila, my language teacher, over the course of 2 weeks and translated the message I came up with line by line. I tried to do my best not to merely read the translation in front of the group but it was difficult since there were many new words that were necessary that were not easy to pronounce.
To try to make it as natural as possible, I read through it many times and even repeatedly listened to an audio recording of Khila reading it. To try to keep it lively I had some of the kids read the Bible passages out-load for me. After all, their Nepali would be easily understood even though the Nepali Bible is notoriously difficult to read, even for the average Nepali.
The big eyes turned to smiles on some faces and intent concentration on others. Was I blowing this and only creating a spectacle? Or were my words understood and captivating the young minds before me?
I chose to preach on what it means to love Jesus. My primary verse, familiar to many but perhaps not in this translation:
“यदि तिमीहरूले मलाई प्रेम गर्यौ भने, तब तिमीहरूले मेरो आज्ञा पालन गर्नेछौ। यदि कसैले मेरो आज्ञाहरू ग्रहण गर्छ र यसलाई पालन गर्दछ, त्यस मानिसले मलाई प्रेम गर्दछ। अनि मेरा पिताले तिनलाई प्रेम गर्दछन्। जसले मलाई प्रेम गर्दछ। अनि म त्यस मानिसलाई प्रेम गर्छु। म उमाथि प्रकट हुनेछु।” (John 14:15, 21)
This topic has been particularly close to my heart since I have become convinced a proper understanding is vital to produce disciples of Jesus that reproduce. That is, cross-bearing followers that teach others to do the same. I feel this understanding is also of utmost importance to new or young believers because it sets the bar for what is expected of them.
I sat down sweaty after stumbling a bit toward the end of the reading. My brain and voice got tired from the long recitation and intermittent attempts at eye contact. After my friend then called me back up for an introduction oddly saved for the end of my talk, I told him privately that maybe it would have been better if he had just translated my English. He said either way it was good to have a guest speaker (which I found hardly reassuring that my first sermon was a great success.)
Then I edged my way outside the church and received praise from many of them that my Nepali was "ekdaam ramro" or very good. I proceeded to track down Jasmika, a girl that baby sits for Jack, and she too said how impressed she was. I then struggled, and ultimately failed, to ask her a simple question in the language I had seemingly just mastered: whether or not she could come on Monday instead of Tuesday to watch Jack the following week.
And so it goes with this illusive language that so frustrates me! Every great effort reveals real progress but it is often followed by real defeat.
thanks for sharing your experience. That was brave.
ReplyDelete