Sunday, September 8, 2013

Breastfeeding Blues

After I returned home from church this morning, I again found Leona exhausted and in despair. She has been in and out of a desperate state the past few weeks while trying to cope with the many issues she has encountered breastfeeding.

This has been difficult for me since it seems there is little I can do to help her. Sure, I've done my best to get up with her at night and change diapers, get her snacks, etc. but I have still been unable to sufficiently ease the burden placed upon her. She continues to ultimately find herself frantic and in tears, especially at the end of a long night.

Leona's success at breastfeeding is very important to both of us. It is easy to do a little research and marvel at the many benefits afforded mom and baby. But for us, it is also important because we hope to still be feeding Jack in this way while in Nepal. We hadn't previously considered the possibility of trying to source expensive formula in Kathmandu.

Leona & Jack about a week ago.
This has also been difficult for us since we have both been diligent to pray. I have done my best to assure her (and myself!) that though our prayers may appear to have gone unanswered, this is not evidence that God is punishing her or isn't concerned about her or the baby. This is a lie, likely promoted by the father of lies.

Still, we ask for your prayers. Would you pray for Leona and Jack today?

We ask our gracious God that He might heal Leona and Jack of their Candida infection. We ask that Leona would be healed of the wounds caused by Jack's improper latch while feeding. Finally, we ask for wisdom regarding Leona's preliminary diagnosis of Jack's lip and tongue ties which may be preventing him from feeding efficiently. She will take him to see a specialist on Tuesday (9/10). Our prayer is that she would survive his incessant hunger until then. 

3 comments:

  1. Let us know how the appt went! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying about this! Mothering a baby seems like such hard work. I know you guys can do it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: after some physical therapy and minor mouth surgery, Jack is nursing great with no pain to mom. Praise God! We're now working on getting him to take mom's milk through a bottle to allow her extended time away.

    We are so thankful for this progress! Thank you for your prayers.

    ReplyDelete