Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Joy in Obedience

It finally happened yesterday to my relief. I wasn't looking forward to it but suspected it wouldn't quietly take care of itself.

My latest job prospect at ThinGap emailed me back. They asked if I would be available for a follow-up interview Friday afternoon, likely to test my SolidWorks skills. I called them back and admitted that I could come in Friday but confessed that I needed to clear the air first. My wife and I have committed to Nepal, before the end of the year. As I expected, the company was looking for someone who would be able to stick around for much longer since I likely would require a lot of hand-holding the first 6 months. I was thanked for being so honest. I thanked them for considering me initially. And then the call ended.

The decision for me to work at this point (full or part-time) has weighed on me like a load of bricks. This latest opportunity seemed like a good one. It would be nice to save up some extra money before our trip and easily float into the next year. Perhaps I should simply not volunteer the fact that I'm leaving and "look out for number one"?

Leona agreed that we needed to pray. And we needed to ask others for prayer as well.

And so we did. And some interesting things happened. Our anxiety over our bills was lifted. We received encouragement from friends that my time off might prove necessary for the sake of our preparations. Leona warmed up to the idea of having me home and available (though I may have coxed her myself with a baked ziti casserole fresh out of the oven after a long shift.) And I felt a growing conviction that this company had a right to know.

And then, this morning, after it was all over, I went to a men's prayer meeting at church. The brief message given was entitled, "Joy in Obedience." It landed us in 1 Samuel 15. The Amalekites were given into Saul's hand just as the Lord had promised. But instead of obeying the Lord and destroying all that they had in judgement against their wickedness, he decides to "look out for number one" and collect the spoils of war. He explains to Samuel afterwards that of course he planned on dedicating the riches he had gathered to the Lord later through burnt offerings and sacrifices. Samuel explains that the Lord is more interested in obedience then sacrifice.

Hmmm, interesting timing. I turned to the guy next to me as we were instructed and shared my story with him.

His eyes lit up and he grabbed a prayer card out of his blue bag. "This is my son and his family. They are serving as missionaries in Cambodia. He trained as an engineer and was denied jobs because he admitted he planned on working overseas too. His wife is also a family doctor. I should write him and tell him about you since he has some contacts in Nepal. He is now the Asia director for his agency."

There is joy in obedience. Lord, thanks for the reminder.

2 comments:

  1. what an amazing connection you were able to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim, such an encouraging post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete